Shopping News / Articles
1.
westernadvocate.com.au
westernadvocate.com.au > story > 9111704 > bathurst-woman-in-court-for-stealing-singlet-from-big-w

Bathroom break unravels theft plan for woman joined on shopping trip

44+ min ago (211+ words) A shopping centre bathroom bust has resulted in a fine for a woman who was caught with a stolen singlet. Lisa Battersby, 49, of Suttor Street, Windradyne pleaded guilty in Bathurst Local Court on November 12, 2025 to having stolen goods. Battersby and another woman were in the bathroom at the Armada Bathurst shopping centre on August 20 when the co-accused was spotted putting stolen items into bags by a fellow shopper, court papers state. Police arrived on unrelated matters and spoke with the head of security, who pointed the co-accused out at the Big W entrance. She and Battersby had a trolley with a number of bags inside when they were questioned by police about shoplifting. "I might have a singlet," Battersby said. She pulled out a white women's Big W top from her jacket and handed it to police, while the co-accused…...

2.
westernadvocate.com.au
westernadvocate.com.au > story > 9121110 > lily-bones-wallaroos-deal-coen-nadens-motivated-boxing-return

Emerging star with 'significant future potential' earns full-time Wallaroos contract

1+ hour, 44+ min ago (1119+ words) The 2025 season was an unforgettable one for Lily Bone and, if early signs are anything to go by, next year could be even better. It was announced last week the 20-year-old Orange City product has been added to the Wallaroos' national contracted squad for the 2026 season. Bone is a talented lock who made her Super Rugby Women's debut for the ACT Brumbies earlier this year. Her talent was spotted quickly and she went on to earn selection in the Australian A squad, and also spent time in the Wallaroos' camp. "Lily joined us midway through the year, participating in training camps to assist the Wallaroos' preparation for the World Cup," Rugby Australia's general manager of women's rugby, Jilly Collins, said. "She demonstrated her talent while playing for Australia A in June and has been identified as a player with significant…...

3.
westernadvocate.com.au
westernadvocate.com.au > story > 9118027 > council-gm-defends-tender-process-for-the-barn-as-motion-fails

'Continual criticism and attack': tense exchange precedes vote on BARN motion

2+ hour, 44+ min ago (538+ words) GENERAL manager David Sherley has pushed back councillor Sophie Wright's claims that the council's executive is doing anything unusual when it comes to engaging a contractor for the Ngurang Arts Residency. Cr Wright made the claims prior to the November 19, 2025 Bathurst council meeting and reiterated them in the chamber when it came time to discuss her and Cr Natalie Cranston's notice of motion regarding the project, formerly known as the BARN. Their motion sought to have the councillors make the decision on the early contractor involvement (ECI) award. As this stage of the project, expected to cost around $75,000, is less than the $250,000 threshold to trigger a decision to be made by resolution of the council, it is council staff who evaluate the submissions received and make the selection. When arguing for the decision to be made by councillors, Cr Sophie…...

4.
westernadvocate.com.au
westernadvocate.com.au > story > 9116304 > no-bail-for-man-who-allegedly-sexually-touched-woman-bathurst

Bail denied: prosecutor sounds alarm as man allegedly touches woman in her home

12+ hour, 14+ min ago (356+ words) A man with a history of sexually abusing children has been refused bail after he allegedly touched a woman while professing his love. Sporting a rolled-up prison jumper and white facial hair, the man - who cannot be named for legal reasons - beamed into Bathurst Local Court from prison on November 19, 2025 to apply for bail. Held on remand, the man is yet to enter a plea to a charge of sexually touching another person. It is alleged the man went to a woman's home in Gormans Hill on November 2, 2025 and sexually touched her without her consent while professing his love. He is accused of kissing her on the lips, rubbing her breast and vagina, and saying "I bet you're loving it, aren't you?" The pair had been getting to know each other over a period of time and would regularly see…...

5.
westernadvocate.com.au
westernadvocate.com.au > story > 9122864 > rail-services-resume-after-bathurst-bullet-derails-at-wallerawang

Bathurst Bullet derails carrying 50 passengers, services have since resumed

1+ day, 21+ hour ago (159+ words) NORMAL rail services have resumed for the region after the Bathurst Bullet derailed overnight, forcing trains to suspend travel between Sydney and the Central West. A statement was released by Transport NSW on Friday, November 28, informing people that the passenger train travelling from Sydney to Bathurst had derailed. The incident occurred at about 6pm on Friday evening, when the leading set of bogies [the train's wheels] derailed at the Wallerawang Station. There were 50 passengers travelling on the train at the time, all of whom escaped injury. The passengers were safely evacuated from the train and taken to Bathurst by bus. As a result of the incident, intercity train services between Sydney, Lithgow and Bathurst were temporarily replaced by buses while recovery and rectification work was completed at the site of the derailment. An investigation into the incident is currently underway and…...

6.
westernadvocate.com.au
westernadvocate.com.au > story > 9120190 > steph-herberts-200-house-flip-a-real-estate-triumph-in-trangie

How buying a $200 house with asbestos helped this family achieve their dream

1+ day, 23+ hour ago (424+ words) Steph Herbert was 22, sick of living with her parents and unable to get the approvals to build a container home when she was told about a house that was going to be demolished. "[Narromine Shire Council] said to me, 'we've got this house out in Trangie and we don't really want it, but we can't sell you the land. Would you like it?'" Ms Herbert said. She offered the council $200. As the only applicant willing to take on the house, she paid the council her $200 in cash and in 2017 she became a homeowner. Eight years later, Ms Herbert has sold the house for $375,000. It wasn't a simple flip. The outside of the house had asbestos and because the house didn't come with the land it was on, the building needed to be moved. Finding someone who could move the house…...

7.
westernadvocate.com.au
westernadvocate.com.au > story > 9111166 > man-threatens-to-assault-someone-outside-bathurst-courthouse

Man threatens to 'smash' someone outside a courthouse before cops are called

2+ day, 44+ min ago (157+ words) Threatening to "smash" someone outside of a courthouse has done little to assist one man in keeping a limited record. Stanley Dench, 21, of Greville Street, Kelso pleaded guilty in Bathurst Local Court on November 12, 2025 to stalking/intimidation. Dench was standing outside of Bathurst Courthouse around 10.45am on October 14 when he called out to a person, threatening to assault him, court papers state. The victim and a witness were escorted inside of the building by a sheriff before police arrived and took a statement. Dench told police that he would "smash" the victim. He was then charged. In court, solicitor Kayana Theobald said there had been a falling out between her client and the victim, with comments allegedly exchanged by the pair on the day. "He's learnt his lesson," Ms Theobald said. With a limited criminal history, Magistrate Gemma Slack-Smith convicted Dench…...

8.
westernadvocate.com.au
westernadvocate.com.au > story > 9122833 > arrest-in-bathurst-after-dna-breakthrough-in-sexual-assault-case

Man arrested and charged for alleged historic sexual assault on a child

2+ day, 45+ min ago (182+ words) A MAN has been arrested and charged in Bathurst in relation to an alleged historic sexual assault, almost three decades ago. An investigation into the alleged historic sexual assault led to the arrest of the 65-year-old man on Wednesday, November 26, following a DNA breakthrough. The alleged assault occurred on the Central Coast 29 years ago. On Tuesday, March 26, 1996, a nine-year-old boy was allegedly sexually assaulted on the Central Coast by a man not known to him. Detectives were notified and commenced an investigation; however, despite extensive inquiries, were unable to make an arrest at the time of the incident. As a result of further inquiries and advances in forensic DNA technology, detectives from the Tuggerah Lakes Criminal Investigation team arrested a 65-year-old man at Bathurst Police Station on Wednesday, November 26, 2025. The man was subsequently charged with sexual intercourse with person under…...

9.
westernadvocate.com.au
westernadvocate.com.au > story > 9112879 > eglinton-childcare-centre-proposal-sparks-safety-concerns

'Going to be horrendous': traffic concerns over childcare centre proposal

2+ day, 2+ hour ago (727+ words) SAFETY concerns have been raised about a proposed childcare centre in Eglinton, while Bathurst council has also come under fire for its handling of the development application (DA). The $1.85 million DA for the childcare centre at 81 Alexander Street was lodged with the council in early October 2025, proposing to knock down the existing buildings, including a house, on the property to make way for the facility. The 59-place childcare centre would be single-storey, supported by a 10-space car park. According to the Statement of Environmental Effects (SoEE), prepared by Civic Town Planning, the proposal is "worthy of support". "It is considered that the childcare centre can be accommodated on the site without impact to the amenity of adjoining and surrounding properties," the document reads. Eglinton resident Mathew McCarthy, who lives in close proximity to the site, disagrees. Mr McCarthy said Eglinton…...

10.
westernadvocate.com.au
westernadvocate.com.au > story > 9111641 > bathurst-man-fined-for-meth-possession-amid-family-drama

Family drama to blame for man's relapse that led to ice run-in with cops

2+ day, 12+ hour ago (156+ words) A man has told a court that his drug-related run-in with police had nothing to do with an addiction and everything to do with family drama. Sam Pleming, 41, of Lord Street, Bathurst pleaded guilty in Bathurst Local Court on November 12, 2025 to possessing a prohibited drug. Police were patrolling South Bathurst about 1.40am on September 27 when they pulled Pleming over in a blue Holden Commodore, court documents state. After trying to evade police, the officers suspected Pleming had drugs. Pleming then handed police a small bag of white crystal substance, which he said was methamphetamine. The ice was seized and later found to weigh 0.63 grams. With a "few family dramas" going on at the time, a self-represented Pleming said he had relapsed but didn't need to redo a drug program. "It was just a lapse of judgement," Pleming said. Magistrate Gemma Slack-Smith…...

Shopping

Please enter a search for detailed shopping results.